2.16.2008

My Sister is Here!

Much to my excitement the Domestic Goddess has arrived. I think it is easy to forget who we really are until family is around. . . . then it seems to be a little more clear because they know us so well. I've tried so hard to deny my disorganized procrastinating side, but when people visit it becomes VERY apparent.

Yesterday I read Sarah's blog and she pointed out she would be visiting for 5 days. I counted out on my fingers how many days I had down and the total wasn't 5. So I checked the itinerary and realized I had it wrong. Sarah would be here until Wednesday, not Tuesday. No problem, I thought, it's actually better because I don't get to see her very much. This was just the beginning of my scatterbrained little sister moves that have been making me giggle (and question my planning skills) all day. I thought Sarah arrived at 12:30pm and had planned the cleaning of my house and ferry ride over to the airport around this time. About ten minutes before 10:00am this morning, my hubby handed me Sarah's printed itinerary and said, "here, do you want this?" I looked at it and said, "WHAT? OH MY GOODNESS!!! Get Juniper dressed we have to go!!!" Sarah's flight was set to arrive at 10:59am!!!! Nate checked the ferry schedule and reported we needed to catch the 10:25 (it takes about 20 minutes to get to the ferry) if we even wanted to make it . . . . so off I headed in my sweats, without a lick of makeup and not even brushed hair, with Juniper on my hip, running down the stairs to the car. I yelled to Nate, "oh *%#^, the car is on empty!". Nate ran into the house and came out of the garage with a red gas can and dribbled whatever was in there into the tank. As he did this, I buckled Juniper in, and threw several used napkins and other misc. coffee cups and trash out onto the driveway. I screamed out the window as we left, "can you pick those up? Thanks, I love you!"

I knew the dribble of gasoline wouldn't do the trick so I screeched into the gas station to put a few gallons in, meanwhile repeating in my mind that we will make the ferry we will make the ferry. As I drove off and thought we were just fine, I looked for my cell phone and realized I didn't have it. I could not believe this because who goes to the airport to find someone these days without their cell phone? Especially if they are going to be late? Oh my goodness! I laughed and screamed out loud and flipped around to go back and get the phone. I kept on thinking, we will make the ferry we will make the ferry. I ran inside and saw Nate's jaw drop as he watched me scramble for my phone and dash out the door. I repeated my mantra, we will make the ferry, the entire way across Bainbridge Island. You don't even know how relieved I was when we were about the second to the last car on. Phew!!!

The rest is really history, because we were just in time to get Sarah. I was glad I had my phone (of course) because I was able to leave her a message telling her we were on the way. She was able to call me when she landed and by the time she was off the plane and out by the arrivals, Juniper and I pulled up to get her.

Sarah seems to be really happy to be visiting us. She thinks our house is really cute, and loves Juniper. I took her to my favorite grocery store and we made dinner together while she organized my pantry and cleaned out my disgusting microwave. We've had some good laughs so far and I am sure we will have more. It's nice to have a sister who accepts me for the scatterbrain that I can be!!!

Here are some pics of the guest room I've been working on, and the before and after pics of my pantry.

Thanks, Domestic Goddess for visiting us! We can't wait to have more adventures tomorrow. I think I'll actually wear jeans and brush my hair for you!!!




1 comment:

Kris said...

Hillary, you are too funny!!! I love this little narrative of your morning to go get your big sis. I know she is so EXCITED to be spending 5 days with you. Sounds like you are already having so much fun. May it continue to be superb! Maybe I can tag along some time for a visit. Sounds like such a neat place to live.